In March 2013 the Government announced a major new funding initiative to support the delivery of physical education and sport in primary schools.
This cross-government funding is provided by the Department for Education, with contributions from the Department of Health and the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. The PE and Sport Premium will provide over £150 million per year for the academic years 2013/14 through to 2015/16.
How will we be spending the PE and Sport Premium Funding?
At Monega Primary School, we adopt an inclusive approach to the development of physical activity and sport for our pupils. We are working to enhance PE and sport provision in order to raise participation and achievement for all pupils.
We have started, and will continue, to use the PE and Sport Premium funding in the following ways, so that:
- All of our pupils benefit, irrespective of sporting ability
- All of our pupils have the opportunity to take part in competitive activity whether through intra or inter school competition.
- All of our pupils understand the importance of leading a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Our most able children are given the opportunity to compete in local and national tournaments.
- Our staff have access to training and relevant CPD opportunities.
- Our staff are able to develop their subject knowledge and confidence in order to teach high-quality PE through team teaching with our PE specialist.
With the above rationale in mind, in 2017/18 we will continue to use the PE and Sport Premium funding effectively so that:
- Our staff continue to benefit from CPD
- We continue to develop a number of after school sports clubs so that pupils are able to compete against each other and those from other schools.
- We continue to enhance our playgrounds, enhancing our provision of PE & Sport as well as health and well-being.
- We develop more opportunities for intra-school competition.
- We continue to provide opportunities for inter-school competition.
- We continue to stock fit-for-purpose PE equipment and facilities.
- We can look into creating a more structured afternoon ‘playtime’ aimed at promoting healthy and active lifestyles.
We will evaluate the impact of the Sports Premium funding and consider the efficacy of the funding in improving the quality and breadth of our PE and sporting provision.